Saturday, August 2, 2014

KALO MINA.


I wrote this post yesterday but unfortunately due to traveling and a lack of service I was unable to post it until today!

So if you don't know me or haven't guessed from my last name, Greek blood runs through my veins, well half. My father was born and raised in Greece and after a thirty year stint in the United States, during which he met, married and split from my mother and also, had my sister and I (lucky for you), he has now migrated back to the mother land. This was part of the reason it was so easy for me to make such a major move. Combine that with the fact I'd no longer have to work 3 part time jobs to pay my bills and I'd be living in a Mediterranean paradise, well, it was a no-brainer, peace out USA!  But, before you get the wrong idea, I'm not being a total bum. As I mentioned in my previous post, I currently attend the American College of Greece where I'm pursuing a masters degree in strategic communications and public relations.

Many of you may think I was fluent in Greek before moving here but WRONG. I actually knew little to no Greek (thanks dad) and started language lessons a few months after arriving. Although now I can read and write, (though spelling is an extreme challenge due to the 3 different "e" and 2 "o" letters and seemingly endless letter combinations to make sounds), speaking is my biggest weakness due to the fact I am shy to make mistakes (I know, I shouldn't be), and also the fact there are like a million different words for one thing. For instance, after I've stuffed my face with both chicken and pork souvlaki you could call me "fat" 8 different ways. There is χοντρος, παχυς, ευσωμος, ογκωδης, τεραστιος, αφρατος, υπερβαρος, ευτραφης, and τροφαντος . So in my defense, Greek is hard.

Anyway, the real purpose of this post was to actually say only two words to you, " Kalo Mina".  It means "good month" and is said on the 1st day of every month. It has become my favorite Greek blessing in a culture that has many (I will list a bunch below for a little Greek education). The reasons I like Kalo Mina are three. First, I find it completely sweet and endearing and everyone seemed absolutely genuine when telling it to me. Second, it was something new to me, we don't say this in the US and it was a nice way for me to bond with the locals. And third, it's sort of become a small competition amongst my friends and I as to who says it first to the others! So, here is wishing you a good month, Kalo Mina everyone! xx

Καλό ταξίδι  (kah-lo tax-E-thE) = good trip

Καλή όρεξη  (kah-lee or-ek-see) = good meal
Μεγια (may-ya) = with health

It's used when a new material good is obtained because you first need good health in order to enjoy it. This applies to things such as buying clothes and car to getting a haircut. And when said for a haircut I found out it's also accompanied with a slap to the back of the head (insert side eye emoji).
Καλή τύχη (kah-lee tee-he) = good luck
Χρόνια πολλά (hron-ya poh-lah) =  many years

This is said for New Years, birthdays and name days (a Greek thing).

No comments:

Post a Comment